In my last post I introduced a new series on the site, Quick Recipes, For Busy Parents. Idea behind the series being, how to make one meal with enough leftover to transform it into something totally different for dinner the next night.
I'm going to keep this one short, just like the prep and cook time for this dinner. Tomato Basil Chicken leftovers transformed into paella. (If you're a paella truther, please forgive me. This is a homemade, take the bare elements of paella, no time to cook because the baby is crying version of the dish.) So, here's what you do: get home from work and make the decision not to order out. Do not pick up some pita and dip it in hummus and call that dinner. Do not pour a bowl of cereal and pretend you're back in college. And for the love of everything, do not slice up an avocado and insult yourself by putting it on toast. Make a real meal because you worked all day and you've earned it. All you need are the aforementioned leftovers and 30 minutes for light cooking. Frankly, this recipe is more mixing and boiling than cooking. No cutting, just a little stirring.
Let's make this.
Tomato Basil Chicken turned Paella
- Leftovers from the Tomato Basil Chicken recipe
- We had two chicken thighs and a ton of the vegetables in their juices.
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tsp saffron
- fresh basil, torn into pieces
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- Steep saffron in 1/4 cup of hot water.
- While saffron is steeping cook 2 cups jasmine rice in a pot. (Directions for cooking rice should be on the back of the packaging.)
- Meanwhile, grab the leftovers from the fridge. Using a fork, or if you're me, just your fingers - shred the leftover chicken into a large pan.
- Dump your leftover vegetables and any juices into the pan with the chicken. Literally, just empty the Tupperware into the pan.
- Drizzle some olive oil on everything and heat pan on low.
- Once your rice is done cooking, pour the steeped saffron, water and all, into the rice and mix well.
- Mix the rice into the warmed pan of now shredded chicken and tomato basil leftovers.
- Turn up the heat and stir everything together for a few minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste. For me this meant adding a bit more salt + pepper. Also, some paprika and red pepper flakes. Top everything with shredded basil and shaved Parmesan (if you feel like it). Squeeze lemon 'cause why not?
That's it! You've made a variation of paella out of something that was decidedly very different the night before. Eat your meal out a bowl, drink a glass of wine, be in bed by 9:30PM.
Oh the parent life!